November 05, 2019

Endless Creativity Perler Beads

What is the perfect name of this DIY craft?????

Said whatever other people said "Perler Beads", "Hana Beads", "Melty Beads"  .........

I just like to name it as Endless Creativity in Pixel Craft.  It really looks like Pixel, just imagine everything related to pixel, we can turn it on perler beads patterns.  Of course, we can turn the cross-stitch patterns to perler beads patterns too.

DIY Kids Craft

So with this Pixel Craft, we are never run out of ideas on patterns.  By using your imagination, create any patterns and color matching you like, or think about your favourite character or cartoons or movies character, or search the internet, also we can add more elements on it to make necklaces, keychains, fridge magnets, earrings, coasters.....



Basic Information about the Beads:
1) Mini Beads: Half size of the regular beads, only 2.5mm diameter.
2) Regular or Basic Beads: medium size beads, 5mm diameter. I suggest to use this one as beads are not too small or not too big, easy to buy it in craft stores.
3) Biggie beads: large size beads, 10mm diameter, good for the smaller kids.
4) Special beads: some beads are glow-in-the-dark, translucent, have striped-pattern or even glitter.

DIY Kids Craft


Pegboards:
1) Square shape: commonly use, have different size.  I suggest to buy the size 14.5cm x 14.5cm linkable boards, it is more flexible to make a small or big projects.
2) Shaped: like hexagon, circle, start, heart, etc.
3) object or animal shaped: like flower-shaped, penguin-shaped, car-shaped, quite limited usage.

Some people said using the tweezers to pick up and make the pattern easily, but I am a lazy crafter, so I just using my hand and fingers to pick up the beads.  Whenever I come up an idea, I make it.

Iron: functionable iron, it doesn't need to have steam function, just nice and hot.

Ironing wax paper: seems a professional name that I ask: where can I buy it?  Later, I figure it out using parchment paper also works perfectly.  At least, really easy to get one from the kitchen.

Steps:
1) Get the pegboard, beads and START!
2) You can place the beads from top to bottom, from left to right, from row to row, I think it is totally up to your preference. My preference is I finish the outer edge first, more easy for me to make sure the beads are in the right place by following the picture or chart.
3) Iron?? Not yet! My preference is I like to finish few projects, then iron them at one time.
4) After finishing the design , I always use the masking tape to cover all the design, gently take it out together with the masking tape, flip over and put it on a flat and heat-safe surface.

DIY Kids Craft

DIY Kids Craft

5) Place your finished projects on a flat, hard and smooth ironing surface. Turn the iron to medium heat without steam. Place a parchment paper on top of the beads and start running the hot iron in circle slowly slowly for around 10 seconds, make sure the beads are melt enough that they stick together.  Let the first side completely cool before iron the second side. While letting it cool, I strongly suggest to place few heavy books on top of the beads to make it flat, avoid curly. it doesn't matter small or big project.

DIY Kids Craft

DIY Kids Craft

6) Flip over the design and peep away the masking tape.
7) Iron the second side: Check the first side to make sure beads are stick together and repeat step (5).

Warning: Ironing must be done by adults. Please keep children a a safety distance.




No comments:

Post a Comment